[NLPL Users] fyi: renewed cpu quota on Abel

Stephan Oepen oe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Aug 29 12:33:11 CEST 2019

colleagues,

around monday afternoon, earlier this week, our shared NLPL cpu
allocations on Abel were almost exhausted.  i am sorry i had (once
again) failed to notice this imminent problem earlier!

as of last night, our project has received a fresh 200,000 hours on
Abel, which should last us through the end of this allocation period,
i.e. the end of september, i hope.

it is increasingly difficult to estimate NLPL usage ahead of time for
the six-month allocation periods on Abel.  in general, however, it is
of course good to see that there are more active users under the NLPL
umbrella now, and that total usage continues to increase!

we are expecting to migrate the NLPL virtual laboratory to the
successor systems for Abel and Taito (which both are planned to go out
of service towards the end of 2019) over the next few months.  we will
be in touch soon with more information on the transition, possibly
including refined mechanisms to request and share allocations among
NLPL users.

best wishes, oe